Monday, October 12, 2009

Cobh, better known as Cove






This past Saturday, my friend Lindsay and I spent part of the day in Cobh (pronounced Cove). It was a beautiful 25 minute train ride from Cork. We left at ten o'clock. As you can see in the pictures, something that we both loved about Cobh was how colorful all of the buildings were - like a rainbow painted down the street. After wandering the main street in town, we stopped for lunch at a local spot. I got a burger and fries, which I will admit was nothing like burgers back in the states, so I also got some tastier vegetable soup. After lunch, we continued to explore the town by walking around. We really wanted to go out on a boat, but the one boat tour vendor that we found had a sign telling us that they are only open in the summer months. Nevertheless, it was a gorgeous day and a lovely town!

Picture 1 - deep in thought, looking out into Cobh's waters

Picture 2 - the painted rainbow of buildings

Picture 3 - some local boats docked in one of the town's harbors

Picture 4 - speaking of boats, I found one for sale that I really liked, but it needed a little bit too much work

Picture 5 - a new favorite Irish pastime - posing with statues - can you find me amidst the bronze children?
This statue shows Annie Moore with her two younger brothers. It honors the young girl for being the first citizen accounted for entering the United States through the new immigration center at Ellis Island, New York on January 1, 1892.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp! cries she with silent lips. Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send those, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me; I lift my lamp beside the golden door." - Emma Lazarus

2 comments:

  1. I love the photos of the rainbow colored buildings and of the boats. It looks as if you (and your statue friends) are having a great time in Ireland. Keep posting your wonderful photos! You are quite the photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know which one you are--the really short bronze one, right?

    But on a more serious note, why does Ireland have a statue commemorating the first people to leave their lands and go to the US?!? Do they really admire us THAT much???

    ReplyDelete